- Featured Destinations
- Sample Trips
- Exclusive Deals
- Custom Trip Planning
- Travel 101
- About Us
Lake Tanganyika, Tanzania
Prices From: $600 - $750pp
On a far-flung beach along the eastern shores of Lake Tanganyika, below a huge story-book tropical forest, is the tiny sanctuary of Greystoke Mahale. The water is as clear as gin, the air scented and the living is very easy indeed. The forested slopes of the Mahale Mountains rise behind camp, home to the world's largest known population pf chimpanzees, with approximately 1000 individuals inhabiting the national park. Each day you can venture out into the forest, to observe and commune with these, our closest relatives, as they groom, wrestle and forage across the leafy floor.
Your home at Greystoke Mahale is in wildly exotic wooden bandas looking out across the dhow timber. The six bandas are open-fronted, with dressing rooms, adjoining bathrooms accessible via a short boardwalk with flush toilets and powerful showers and upstairs chill-out decks designed with flair, generosity and a passion for the most demanding castaway.
The forest itself is special with 8 other species of primate, shyer forest mammals, birds, butterflies, giant vines and waterfalls. And if a day's 'chimping' isn't enough, you can snorkel or swim in the clear waters (there are over 250 species of cichlid in the lake), fish or kayak along the lake shore. You can have private barefoot dinners on the beach or get friendly in the wildly thatched mess complete with library and upstairs viewing decks. For some evening pizazz, there's the bar of all bars on the rocks of the headland with fresh sashimi and iced vodka and a view out west across the mighty waters of the lake.
Region: Africa - Eastern and Southern
Nearest Airport: DAR
Mahale Mountains National Park
- PARK ENTRY FEES & CHIMP PERMITS:Park Fees of $80 per adult and $30 per child under 16 (per 24 hour stay) are included in rates. As of July 1, 2008, a supplemental $20 per person concession fee will apply. Chimp permits are being proposed at a likely fee of $150pppd+, with possible limitation of one permit per day. The National Parks are formulating their policy and we shall keep you updated. Please note that all fee's are subject to change.
- OUR RATES INCLUDE: Full Board Accomodation, Camping Fees, all drinks (except champagne), laundry airport transfers, all forest activities (until Chimp Permits are introduced), boating, kayaking, snorkeling and fishing activities.
- OUR RATES EXCLUDE: Chimp Permits (when introduced, these may be subject to special conditions), flights, gratuities, champagne, items of personal nature, insurance, flying doctors, and medical evacuation.
- MEDICAL INSURANCE & FLIGHT EVACUATION COVER: All clients traveling to Mahale must be covered by Flying Doctors. Unfortunately, clients not covered will be refused entry to the Camp. Cover varies between $30pp-$50pp, depending on entire length of safari and will be added to all invoices.
-TRIPLES: Triples are only available if the third person is a child under 12 years. Triples are not available for 3 adults. There is no reduced triple rates. Please note that we can only offer 2 Chimp vests per room. Children under 12 are not allowed to view the chimps and there is no third chimp visit possible for the third bed.
- CHILD POLICY: Our camps are, on the whole, child friendly and we enjoy hosting families in our Camps. However, to ensure minimum disturbance to other clients, we do not accept children under 12 to view the chimps. All children stay at their parents own risk.
-OPEN: Open year-round except for March 24, 2008- June 1, 2008
-CHIMP VIEWING RULES: Please note that we can only offer 2 Chimp visits per room. Children under 12 are not allowed to view the chimps and there is no chimp visit possible for the 3rd bed of a triple. Maximum of 6 people per group and this now includes Private Guides, escorting their clients. Chimp viewing is for one hour only, per group, and all clients must be a minimum of 10 meters away from the chimps. We shall be insisting that all clients wear face masks whilst in proximity to the chimps, to minimize transmission of contagious diseases. It must be clearly understood that any client showing symptoms of any contagious disease (Viral or Bacterial) will not be allowed into the Forest.
For FIT Bookings (3 rooms or less): Cancellations & postponements of confirmed safaris are only effective on receipt of a written notification, whereupon the deposit is forfeited. In the event of the cancellation or postponement of a confirmed safari, you will immediately become liable for a percentage of the full safari cost, as set out below:
-Confirmed safaris cancelled 60+ days prior to arrival ? full deposit is forfeited.
-Confirmed safaris cancelled 30 to 60 days prior to arrival ? 50% of full safari cost is payable.
-Confirmed safaris cancelled less than 30 days prior to arrival - 100% of full safari cost is
For Group Bookings (4 rooms or more):
- Until 4 months out, up to half the rooms can be released without penalty.
- Between 4 and 6 months, if MORE than half the rooms release, 20% cancellation charges apply.
- Under 4 months, normal FIT cancellation charges apply.
Should you or the clients fail to join the safari or join it after the departure date, no refund can be made. Please note that if the reason for cancellation or postponement falls within the terms of any holiday insurance that you or the clients are holding, then any such charges will normally be refunded to you or the clients by the insurance company, subject to the terms of the insurance. We strongly recommend that all clients
traveling with Nomad Tanzania obtain full travel insurance valid from the date of confirmation of the safari, which will cover claims for any cancellation charges.