- Featured Destinations
- Sample Trips
- Exclusive Deals
- Custom Trip Planning
- Travel 101
- About Us
Mt. Kenya: Sirimon - Naro Moru Trek
Prices From: $1,148 per person
This trek offers good opportunities for acclimatization prior to ascending to the summit. Unlike the normal itinerary up and down the Sirimon route, this trek includes an extra day at Mackinders Camp for acclimatization before the final ascent to the summit. It is a good choice for first time high altitude hikers and those arriving from low altitude regions. From Shipton's, you skirt the high peaks to the east, bypassing Kami and Two-tarn huts as you marvel at the splendid view of the rocky towers, tarns and suspended glaciers of the west face of Batian peak. The summit is attempted from Mackinders camp in the Teleki valley and eventually we descend through the Naromoru route.
Day 1 - Nairobi - Nanyuki - Old Moses Camp
Transfer to Mt Kenya Sirimon Park gate (2600m). After completion of park entry formalities, you begin a 3-4 hour hike through a montane forest with bamboo, rosewood and heather zones to Old Moses camp (3300m). The forest and bamboo are home to hundreds of buffaloes, elephants, bushbucks and a plethora of bird species. Dinner and overnight at Old Moses Camp (3300m).
Overnight: Old Moses Camp (Lunch, Dinner Included)
Day 2 - Old Moses Camp - Shiptons Camp
After an early breakfast at 07:00hrs, commence a 6-7 hours trek through the sprawling moorlands up to the Shipton's hut (4200m). The hike provides opportunities for fascinating views of unique moorland plants and scenery but is also a test on your individual endurance. You gain good acclimatization as you cover an altitude range of 900m. Lunch stop is at a vantage point on the Mackinder valley. Dinner and overnight at Shipton's Camp (4200m).
Overnight: Shipton's Camp (Breakast, Lunch, Dinner Included)
Day 3 - Shiptons Camp - Mackinders Camp
You will depart at 08:00AM to ascend the Hausberg col (4700m) then descend steeply to Hausberg valley and Oblong tarns before making a further steep ascent, crossing huge boulders via Two Tarn on the way to Mackinders camp (4,300m) which is located along the Naromoru route within the Teleki Valley. Dinner and overnight at Mackinders Camp (4300m).
Overnight: Mackinders Camp (Breakast, Lunch, Dinner Included)
Day 4 - Mackinders Camp - Summit - Met Station
Wake-up call at 02:30AM. Start the summit climb at 03:00AM, first hiking on frozen scree then across the Lewis glacier for 3-4 hours. We aim to reach Point Lenana, the hikers’ summit, in time to watch the sunrise. From the summit, descend gently for two hour back to Mackinders Camp for breakfast. Then head down a gentle 4 hour descent to Met Station (3,049m) for overnight.
Overnight: Met Station Camp (Breakast, Lunch, Dinner Included)
Day 5 - Met Station - Nairobi Departure
Leave after breakfast for a gentle two hour hike down on a wide dirt road leading to the Naromoru Park gate (2600m) where you meet our vehicle. Transfer back to Nairobi.
Region: Africa - Eastern and Southern
- Accommodation in mountain huts or tents when camping
- All food - breakfasts, lunches (packed if necessary) and evening meals prepared by our own cook
- The services of an English-speaking professional mountain guide during the trek, as well as the services of well-paid porters and a skilled cook
- All National Park entrance and camp site fees
- Transport from Nairobi to Mt Kenya and back
- Full support before, during & after your trip
- International & domestic flights
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation before and after the trek in Nairobi
- Taxes and fees
- Travel insurance (recommended)
- Entrance visas when applicable
- Personal hiking equipment-sleeping bags, boots etc.
- Expenditure on all drinks
- Other services not mentioned
- Tips and gratuities to guides, drivers, porters
- Expenses of a purely personal nature