- Featured Destinations
- Sample Trips
- Exclusive Deals
- Custom Trip Planning
- Travel 101
- About Us
Mafia Island, Tanzania
Prices From: $180
The Pole Pole Resort at Mafia Island's Marine Park is a new kind of resort. Consisting of only seven bungalows, this island home promises personal attention and service. "Pole Pole" means "take it easy" in Swahili. Situated in the Utende area of Mafia Island, the resort is the archipelago's main base. It is set in a shady, breezy spot facing a sea of the deepest blue and looking over the islands of Chole, Juani and Jibondo.
The roomy bungalows with wide verandas looking onto the sea are built entirely out of wood and raised on stilts to ensure the maximum comfort for the guests. The beds have wooden slats and high quality spring mattresses. All linen is imported from Italy. Bathrooms have double washbasins, king-size showers, bidets and toilets.
The Mafia Archipelago and the delta of the Rufiji River form one of the most interesting marine ecosystems and coral reefs in the world. The area has a high bio-diversity and is considered an important habitat for endangered species. There are over 400 species of fish, on land the rich vegetation is dominated by large palm groves, baobabs, mangroves and fruit trees. The wildlife is extremely varied; monkeys, small antelopes, wild pigs, bushbabies as well as a small colony of dwarf hippos. There are also countless types of birds. The warm, safe waters of the inland bays and lagoons are a paradise for both expert and beginner scuba divers as well as those simply wishing to snorkel. Mafia Island Marine Park was established as the first Marine Park in Tanzania and covers a surface of 821 square kilometers.
There are different types of activities or excursions: by boat, by 4x4 car or walking and light trekking. The activities in the marine park are scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing and visiting the local villages. Pole Pole Resort organizes boat excursions and picnics to isolated islets, sandbanks or islands every day, according to the tide. The Diving Centre provides PADI Federations' certificates (medical certificates are mandatory to do a beginners course). The excursions by 4x4 and take you right across the island through villages and changing landscapes up to the northern tip where a lighthouse stands.
Region: Africa - Eastern and Southern
Nearest Airport: DAR
Mafia Island Marine Park
- Rates include 3 gourmet meals and early morning tea, daily excursions in Chloe Bay and snorkeling, transfers to and from Mafia airport, tea, coffee and safe drinking water, use of private waiting room in Mafia airport and assistance, and laundry (2 items per person per day).
- Rates do not include: Marine Park entry fees ($10 per person per day, children-$5) to be paid cash at the Park's entrance gate, drinks and extras, children sharing the room (0-3 years gratis, 4-12 years: 50% discount)
- Single Occupancy supplement: 30%
- End of the year supplement $50 per person on the 31st (including special dinner and free drinks) and a minimum of 5 nights.
- All ages are welcome, however, Pole Pole Resort does not specifically cater for familes with children below the age of 5.
- Pole Pole Resort is open from June 1st to April 1st. It is closed for the months of April and May due to the rainy season.
- To preserve the tranquility of the resort and in respect of other guests' peace, the use
Up to 45 days prior to arrival: No charges
44 - 30 days: 25%
29 - 15 days: 50%
14 - 7 days: 75%
Under 7 days: No refund
For the period of 1st August - 31st August and 20th December - 10th January cancellation policy is no refund under 45 days.