- Featured Destinations
- Sample Trips
- Exclusive Deals
- Custom Trip Planning
- Travel 101
- About Us
Prices From: $225
Refugio Amazonas is the latest addition to Rainforest Expeditions Tambopata portfolio. As a charming 24 bedroom lodge, it is well placed immediately adjacent to the Tambopata National Reserve. Surrounded by a mosaic of waterways, habitats and a working Brazil Nut concession, it presents an ideal balance for naturalist exploration and observations of sustainable forest use by local populations.
It takes over three hours to get there from Puerto Maldonado and most of your first afternoon is spent on the river. Therefore, you should spend at least three nights at Refugio Amazonas to have time to fully explore the surrounding primary forest.
Refugio Amazonas is built using a combination of traditional native materials (wood, palm fronds, wild cane and clay) and architecture and modern day eco-lodge technology. The lodge consists of three wings of 8 rooms connected by raised boardwalks to a central, two-storey, 20 foot tall common area. This area has distinct ambiences serving as lobby, dining room, bar, shop and lounge. This structure is the heart of Refugio's atmosphere: it provides great canopy views of the surrounding forest – from a hammock … and a whistle away from a drink! The rooms are quite large so they can comfortably hold three beds, although most are set up for two. The side that looks out to the forest does not have a wall or screening of any kind, acting as a large window facing the forest. The ability to incorporate this "luxurious" design element into the lodge is because mosquitoes are not really a problem around the lodge clearing. A second small window on the opposite side, set up very high, keeps the rooms well ventilated. Each room has a private bathroom with cold water only. Rooms and bathrooms are separated by drapes. Each room has beds, mosquito nets, bedside tables and hammocks or lounge chairs.
Dining at Refugio Amazonas involves self-serve three course meals. Meals consist of soup or appetizers, salad, main course, and desserts combining Peruvian and international cuisine. Also, at all times unlimited amounts of boiled, filtered, cooled drinking water, coffee or tea and fresh fruit juices are provided during the meals. Special dietary requirements can be accounted for.
Refugio Amazonas is built on a 200 hectare private reserve on the buffer zone of the Tambopata National Reserve. It is becoming integrated to the communities of Brazil nut extractors that surround it, attempting to extend the benefits of ecotourism to the families that commit to the sustainable use of the forest within this buffer zone.
Region: South America
Nearest Airport: LIM
Tambopata National Reserve
- Rates are per person, per package.
- Rates include: All hotel and lodge accommodations based on double occupancy. All scheduled land and river transportation. All transfers. All scheduled excursions with English-speaking guide services. Meals as specified in the itinerary.
- Rates do not include: International or domestic airfares, airport departure taxes or visa fees, excess baggage charges, additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, alcoholic beverages or bottled water, snacks, insurance of any kind, laundry, phone calls, radio calls or messages, reconfirmation of flights and items of personal nature.
- - All of the guides are biologists, tourism professionals, or community members. Unless noted otherwise, all guides speak English and are assigned at a 10:1 ratio. Private guides or a guide in a language other than English can be arranged upon request.
- For those traveling with children Refugio Amazonas offers the only attraction especially made for children, by children, in the Peruvian Amazon - the Children's Rainforest Trail.
- Refugio Amazonas has no electricity. Light is provided by numerous kerosene lamps and candles. A generator is turned on once a day to recharge batteries for guests or lodge facilities. At night it is very dark, it is highly recommended to bring a good flashlight.
For cancellations within the final 30 days before departure date, there will be no refunds.