- Featured Destinations
- Sample Trips
- Exclusive Deals
- Custom Trip Planning
- Travel 101
- About Us
Shaba National Reserve, Kenya
Prices From: $370
An elegant oasis in the arid lands of Samburu; Joy's Camp is built on the site of Joy Adamson's tented home in Shaba National Reserve. The 10 chic canvas bedrooms are set raised off the ground with breathtaking views of the surrounding hills. The camp overlooks a large natural spring where elephant and lion jostle for watering rights with herds of buffalo and the rare desert species of Beisa Oryx, Reticulated Giraffe and Grevy's Zebra.
Each sumptuous tent is uniquely decorated with Boran/Somali cloth design, handmade glass and the vibrant fabrics of the local nomadic tribes creating a chic, sophisticated and stylish camp. Each tent has it's own private verandah, ideal for private game viewing as well as relaxing, reading and soaking up the truly wild environs offered by Shaba. The eastern corner of the Samburu eco-system, Shaba is a secluded idyll; an arid landscape dotted with lush springs and rocky river gorges.
Joy's Camp is the perfect choice for discerning guests interested in a glimpse of Kenyan history, as well as those looking for an authentic wildlife experience combined with the comfort of a luxury-tented camp.
Region: Africa - Eastern and Southern
Nearest Airport: NBO
Shaba National Reserve
- The camp is closed during the month of May.
- 2 Night Minimum Stay.
- A $15 USD fee is added to all safaris for Flying Doctor Society insurance.
- Children under 5 are free.
Included in rates:
- Local Airstrip Transfers
- Full Board Accommodation
- Soft Drinks, Beer, Spirits and House Wines
- Game Drives in 4-Wheel Drive Vehicles
- Guided Bush Walks along Ewaso Nyiro River and gorge.
- Visits to the Magado Crater
- Cultural Visits
- Bush Meals
- Swimming pool
- Laundry Service
Not included in rates:
- Conservation Fees - Adult $40 USD (Jan-April) $60 USD (May-Dec.) and Child Under 18 $20 USD (Jan-April), $30USD (May-Dec.)
- Extra Lunch Per Person $40 USD
- Exclusive Use Of Vehicle Per Day - Per Vehicle $330 USD
- Fees for Cultural Visits
- Champagne, Special Wines and Luxury Spirits
Should you cancel your booking this must be done in writing. Cancellations are only effective on receipt of written notification. If you cancel prior to 8 weeks before the departure your deposit is forfeited. If your cancellation is made after the due date for full payment of your tour fare, charges will be levied as a percentage of the tour prices as follows:
- Less than 8 weeks notice 25%
- Less than 5 weeks notice 60%
- Less than 3 weeks notice 100%
Should you fail to join a tour or join it after departure or leave prior to its completion, no tour fare refund can be made. (Please note that if the reason for the cancellation falls within the terms of any holiday insurance policy which you hold, then the insurance company, subject to the terms of your insurance will normally refund any such charges to you.)